16 Ağustos 2011 Salı

2012 Volkswagen CC Lux Limited

let's see: Here we have a stylish, coupelike German four-seat sedan, but this 2012 Volkswagen CC Lux Limited only carries a $35,485 price tag. When you look at it that way, the sticker isn't so shocking compared with what you'd have to spend to get a similar model from one of the German luxury brands. That's not to say that the CC is a direct competitor to the Audi A7 or the Mercedes-Benz CLS by any stretch, but for those shopping the genre, the VW is a reasonable and considerably cheaper alternative.

I love the ripping yet refined 2.0-liter turbo, and the chassis is set up for serious handling. Set it into a corner, and the car tracks beautifully from one end of the arc to the other, even if you add throttle en route. The car is seriously well planted, especially for a front-driver.

Inside, the CC is as elegant as you're going to get without upgrading to a luxury car, with four picture-perfect bucket seats beckoning occupants. Everything here is comfortable and close at hand, with an excellent driving position.

Is $35,000 too much for a VW? Maybe, but it's not bad for a car of this type that is this well done.

My favorite cars to review are the ones I'd seriously (and realistically) consider calling my own. The CC has been on my radar since it was launched, and I've always thought it an attractive car inside and out for a reasonable price. After spending an evening in the loaded CC Lux Limited, I'm no less enthusiastic about the car, but I have a better sense about the trim I'd select.

The turbocharged four gives this sedan plenty of grunt, with its modest output enhanced by a torque curve that masks its displacement. As for the DSG gearbox, I could take it or leave it. Shifts were exceptionally quick, but the initial clutch takeup can still be awkward at low speeds, and there's an occasional moment of confusion when the throttle is hammered. No sport mode or paddle-shifting provisions further diminished my enthusiasm, but it was still worlds better than the PowerShift unit in our recent Ford Focus.

Inside, the CC is gorgeous. The combination of cream and black leather in our tester looks classy and feels comfortable, and switchgear has a solid feel that competes with the best German sedans. Getting in and out of the CC was somewhat compromised, though, as would be expected from the coupe roofline. Note, too, that you'll be seeking wide parking spaces if you use the rear seats. That pinched rear-door trailing edge is a door-ding weapon par excellence.

For the technophile, our CC had a multifunction navigation/Sirius XM/iPod head unit that competes with the best of them. It's one of the few infotainment systems that worked pretty much exactly as I expected it to when I connected my devices, and it rivals the Honda/Acura system for intuitive design from my perspective.

Back to my "personal" CC: Were I currently in the market, I'd save a few thousand and opt for a CC R-Line with leatherette and a six-speed manual. At an MSRP of less than $32,000, it's more of a bargain Audi than anyone at either company would likely care to admit.

The thing that impresses me the most about this car isn't its handling or it's exterior but rather its interior. I've always been a fan of VW interiors, but the CC's seems perfect for a car in this segment, with the color combination of vanilla and black working well together.

The exterior doesn't hurt this car, either; it has a streamlined look, giving a feeling of movement without sharp lines. It really comes off as having a very polished look. And the cool thing is that you don't see these all over the place.

It handles well, but more power would be welcome. I believe if you loaded it up with four adults and gear, it would be a little bogged down. With just me onboard, it was fine.

I like this 2012 Volkswagen CC Lux Limited. It's well executed inside and out, and the risk-taking, swoopy styling makes it a halo sedan of sorts for the brand.

I'm most impressed with the sheetmetal, which is curvy and well proportioned and strikes an elegant pose. I'll second Andy's Audi comparison. I love the raked roofline in back and the gorgeous lights front and rear. The CC is voluptuous, and as the accents and wheels indicate, it wears its jewelry well.

Inside, the cabin offers tons of natural lighting thanks to the expansive and tone-setting sunroof. The seats are comfortable, supportive and sharp, with stitching and color combinations used in excellent fashion.

The engine serves up plenty of torque low in the band, and the acceleration is actually quite quick. I think it could use a touch more power, however, as this is a meaty sedan, and a turbo four-banger is a bit too under-the-radar and subtle.

The chassis is comfy, and for a big car, it's entirely well mannered. The steering is very light, and it's not exactly a car that yearns to be pushed. The fuel economy is impressive, although the premium-fuel requirement grates on me. I put 87 octane in a Ford Mustang GT with twice the horsepower in the morning and 93 in this four-banger in the afternoon.

Still, for the money, this is an excellent product that looks and drives well. It's also very elegant and very swoopy. I give all the credit in the world to VW for taking a risk, trying something different in both audience attraction and styling--and I'd say pulling it all off. The sales numbers may not be what VW would like, but the car is sharp.