18 Kasım 2011 Cuma

2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman


I thoroughly enjoy the regular Mini Cooper S, so I had high hopes for this 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4, thinking that it would better serve the needs of folks like me with little kids and big dogs. And size-wise, the Countryman presents a nice package. There's lots of rear-seat legroom and a usable hatch (although Chester the Chessie was having none of it), and Mini's characteristic style is sprinkled throughout the cabin.

What's lost, unfortunately, is the Mini's mini-ness. Simply put, the Countryman feels heavy. I suspect that's partly because of the all-wheel-drive system on our tester, but combined with the extra sheetmetal, the 1.6-liter engine lost most of the spry, zingy nature I'm so fond of in the regular Cooper S. It moved along just fine once it was going, but it took a lot more throttle and clutch slipping than a Mini should to get it rolling.

Chances are that Mini aficionados will readily overlook the slight loss of driving personality thanks to the full helping of Mini character elsewhere. But for me, particularly considering the $34,000 price of our admittedly loaded tester, I'd be at the Audi dealer plunking down for an A3.

The price is a touch high, but this car is solidly done, with plenty of attention to detail. From the grille to the headlights to even the interior materials, this is a sharp car.

I think the Countryman retains most of the Mini magic. The chassis is tight, it's fun in corners, and the six-speed manual is a hoot. It handles well and feels interactive. The steering is direct and even heavy at times, too.

The cabin materials seem to be a step above what I've sampled recently in Mini models, although the controls are a bit tough to navigate at first. It's nicely equipped and reasonably comfortable for a car this size.

Overall, this remains true to what a Mini purports to be; any watering down resulting from the added girth isn't perceptible to me. It's a Mini. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.
A couple of things about the 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 drove me a bit crazy. First, the electronic throttle is among the worst in any recent car that I can remember. The throttle response, down low, is practically nonexistent. A minor blip of the throttle to change gears emits barely a rise in the revs, and you need to bring the rpm up to about 2,000 in order to get any torque at all out of this turbo engine. It seems as if the older supercharged engines were far more responsive and fun--especially in Cooper S trim.

Second--and I know we've beaten this horse a lot, but it's still not dead for BMW--the run-flat tires make this thing ride like a hay wagon. On a stretch of concrete freeway from Monroe, Mich., to Toledo, Ohio, I felt every little nuance in the concrete, every expansion joint, every little bump, hump and crack. And without my prompting, each of my three passengers commented on just how bad the ride is. And these people don't know a run-flat from a flatiron.

I like the concept of the Countryman, and the four doors and more room will certainly fill more transportation needs for some. The driving dynamics of the larger car are certainly different from those of the two-door Minis, and the car actually felt slow. And this one does not have the go-kart-like handling of other Minis.

The lousy throttle response I could live with--barely. The run-flats I could not. The ride and handling are so compromised in this car that even with its too-cool-for-school styling and interior design, I'd drive past the Mini store in my quest for a vehicle.

I was surprised by how lukewarm my response was to this car, and the price is just the proverbial icing on the unappealing cake. My grumbling starts with the run-flat tires, notoriously bad in BMWs and awful here in the German automaker's Mini offshoot. The ride is just too hard, and in Detroit, that's a problem. Those would be the first to go--I'd get better tires and call a towing service if I got a flat.

I find the interior to be a mishmash. Things aren't very intuitive, with switches and controls scattered hither and yon. I suppose one would get used to it. Build quality is average.

Anything good? Well, there's decent room in the back seat, and unlike some of my fellow reviewers, I actually thought the powertrain was the car's strong suit-good power (as long as you keep the revs up), decent gearbox. I liked the steering a lot, too.

I get that Mini needs to keep the lineup fresh, and Mini arguably does one of the best jobs in the industry of keeping people interested, keeping the buzz going. And I'm sure that the Countryman appeals to a fairly wide swath of potential new customers. I'm just not one of them.