21 Eylül 2011 Çarşamba

2011 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Premium


I've gone on record dozens of times saying how much I love this chassis and engine combination in the 2011 Audi A3. I do think it's a little pricey, but this is a nice little car if you're willing to part with the extra dough to move up from a Volkswagen to what an Audi will cost you.

The build quality is among the best in the biz (the back seat is a little tight), it's the right size and it's plenty fast enough. It drives like a little sportster around town. Jump on the gas from a light and there is a little bit of turbo lag at the lower revs, but boost builds quickly and the engine has good response above 3,000 rpm. It drives like a bigger car on the freeway. It's clearly tuned for autobahn speeds. Composed is the word that comes to mind.

The seats are above average, and I found a nice comfortable driving position.

I enjoyed my drive in the A3; I always do. But I don't see one tempting me away from a Volkswagen GTI.

If you need a car without a third pedal, it's hard to go wrong with this combo--it's one of my favorite small-car powertrains. The torque of the turbocharged four-cylinder really moves the A3 along with authority, and once you've driven the S tronic six-speed you'll wonder how other manufacturers can get dual-clutch transmissions so wrong. (Ford, I'm looking at you.)

Inside, the Audi feels upscale but not overly so. What was a premium small-car interior two years ago is now just competitive, thanks to the onslaught of upgraded compacts such as the Ford Focus. Similarly, interior room is nothing special. Despite its almost wagon-esque exterior design, this is a compact hatch, a truth immediately apparent as soon as one pops the fifth door.

Perhaps the larger problem is that the Audi A3 really is priced at a premium to other really good small cars. More than $31,000 for a vehicle in this category stings a bit, particularly when as much as $1,500 of that price is wrapped up in options such as metallic paint, heated seats and Bluetooth capability, which I'd expect to find included in a compact with a base price just shy of $30,000.

I'd imagine that's why I see so few A3s on the road. Most folks cross-shopping them probably end up either swallowing the few extra grand to move up to an A4 or they look at other larger competitive options at the same price point. As Wes mentioned, squeezed between the GTI and the A4, it's hard to make a solid case for an A3.

NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: The reflexes of this 2011 Audi A3 Premium are outstanding. It drives with the energy and athleticism of a car that wants to be driven and has guts. The chassis is composed and sporty, and the steering has a light but pleasing response. It's a fun, practical thing to drive.

I found myself tossing it into corners and pushing it, just because it's a fun thing to do on a late summer morning as the sun slowly rose. This powertrain is outstanding, with plenty of power low in the band and a hefty dose of torque served up in enjoyable fashion. I knifed in an out of traffic with ease and jetted through congestion on the expressway. The driver is close to the ground, connected and invigorated. Frankly, it feels lighter than 3,200 or so pounds.

If we have to accept smaller cars, this is a good one. Still, I'd say the interior is just OK. As Stoy notes, cabin furnishings have gotten so much better; this is just solid. Not bad, but solid. Overall, this would be a great runner for daily commutes.

2011 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Premium

Base Price: $29,625

As-Tested Price: $31,200

Drivetrain: 2.0-liter turbocharged I4; FWD, six-speed dual-clutch sequential manual

Output: 200 hp @ 5,100-6,000 rpm, 207 lb-ft @ 1,800-5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,296 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 24/23.4 mpg