2 Eylül 2011 Cuma

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL


I was looking forward to getting my hands on this 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL. I owned a 1999 Jetta, the first year after they switched to a more rounded body style, and remember it as a car that drove well and was nicely appointed, even if it was hardly a paragon of reliability. Given criticisms of the newest Jetta, I wanted to see whether it was as bad as folks had made it out to be.

My conclusions are mixed. The exterior styling doesn't bother me, nor does the interior until you touch it. I haven't been surrounded by that much molded hard plastic in a long time, even in some stripper cars we've had through here. My '99 was filled with pleasing textures, soft touch points and chrome/metal touches. Our tester had the push-button start system, which in this case is just a square button placed in one of the four blanks in the console; the steering column even has a plastic cap over where the keyhole would be. Alone, this isn't an issue, but it's a perfect example of the corner-cutting VW engaged in with this car.

Another notable cost-cutting area is the clutch and manual-transmission linkage. The shifter is balky and rough--you can almost feel the cables rattling around in the tunnel--and the clutch has zero feel. I'm sure most Jettas are sold with the automatic nowadays, but it is disappointing that VW didn't give the stick a more sporting feel.

One area I've heard complaints is with the 2.5-liter inline five-cylinder engine. I actually found this mill surprisingly entertaining between 3,000 rpm and 5,000 rpm, with nice torque and a sound reminiscent of a turbo Subaru flat-four. It had no trouble pulling the Jetta around, and if it actually manages a combined 26 mpg, it's a decent compromise. Chances are, if you drive it like it needs to be driven, you're not going to see that kind of mileage.

Brakes and steering were still Jetta-sharp, and I can't comment on handling at the extremes since my drive time was limited to surface streets and heavy traffic.

So here we are, at $23K and change. That's a pretty heavily populated vehicle segment at the moment, and the competition is fierce. Ironically, Volkswagen decided to decontent just as Ford, Chevrolet and others elected to load up their compacts. As a result, sharp-handling, good-looking domestics have suddenly leapfrogged VW in interior design and driving dynamics--with Volkswagen's help.

The new Jetta is finding plenty of buyers thanks to its lower price. But the compromises in its design and layout mean it's outclassed in nearly every way by the Ford Focus and the Chevrolet Cruze.

This Jetta was a comfortable, fairly enjoyable ride for me as I darted around town over the weekend. The manual was engaging with an easy, smooth clutch, and the level of interaction helped keep me alert and in the right frame of mind as I went from car show to car show.

The styling is well-executed on the outside, with sharp headlights and taillights and smart proportions. Inside, the materials are a bit bland. I'm not that offended by them, but they are rather pedestrian. The plastic cap of the ignition space looks pretty bad and is a little confusing at first.

I found the steering to be light and quick, and this sedan's 3,045-pound curb weight makes for an even drive character. The chassis is a bit firmer, and road imperfections are felt at times, though the ride is also sportier than perhaps one would expect. The fuel economy is stellar; I drained the tank and recorded 27.24 mpg, with plenty of hard acceleration and stress-relieving downshifting.

The Jetta presents a decent, well-rounded package, and for the price it's nicely equipped. But the Hyundai Sonata and several others are well ahead of this VW.

Like others, I have mixed feelings for the Jetta. On the one hand I think VW seriously dumbed down the exterior and cheapened the interior so drastically it went from one of the best in the business to one of the worst at this price point. I really am gobsmacked at how bad the materials are, especially when compared the excellence VW did for years.

That said, in its cost-cutting craziness, I don't think VW messed with the drivetrain or suspension, and that's a good thing. I don't dig the five-cylinder; I'd much rather have the 2.0-liter turbo, which is coming in the GLI. The five does indeed wake up from its nap above 3,000 rpm, but up there and higher, it sounds like Subaru's flat-four, as noted above.

I liked the ride/handling/steering. Around town it's zippy enough and on the freeway drives solid and firm like a good German car should.

Still, in this price bracket, I'd look at the Ford Focus, the Chevrolet Cruze, the Mazda 3 and the Hyundai Elantra long before the Jetta.

VW made big changes to the exterior for the new Jetta, and at first, I hated it. But the more I look at it, the less it bothers me. The shape got a bit more boring but it's still a good-looking sedan. And it looks decent with the rim choice. It's definitely more grown up.

Power is serviceable from the five-cylinder but as Wes said, the 2.0-liter turbo would be better and more engaging. On the other hand, 27 mpg is pretty good from Greg, and I got 23. It does start to get going at higher revs, though.

The shifter is solid and I didn't really notice the sloppy, cable feel Andy is talking about. The throws are longer, sure, and I banged my elbow a few times on the armrest, but the gates are easy to hit. Clutch-pedal action is too soft for my taste, but it seems to grab pretty well.

I didn't hate the interior like some of the other editors did. It seemed a bit inexpensive-looking, but the only things I noticed were the hard armrest and the plastic plug over on the column where the keyhole was. I still love the way VW sunroofs operate--one twist of the knob and it slides fully open. Also, you can close it when the car is turned off, which is a bonus when you forget to do that before you take the keys out.

The radio setup is one of the best of the small-sedan bunch; good size, color screen with iPod controls and a serviceable speaker setup. The controls will take some time to get used to though.

For me, the Jetta is definitely a player in the small-sedan market. You can get a base Hyundai Sonata for less, but it's no more fun than this car.