30 Eylül 2011 Cuma

2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe


At first glance, I wasn't very impressed with the 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe, as it has two less doors than my favorite E-class. Then I drove it and had a complete change of heart. The E-class sedan is one of my favorites from Mercedes, with the size of the car feeling just right for me. And, oddly enough, I like having four doors. But the styling of the E350 coupe is alluring. Stand back and take it all in, and you can see some CLS in there amidst the E styling.

And then, driving the coupe, well, it drives just like you'd expect from Mercedes. As coupes go, there's a decent amount of room in the back seat, but in reality, adults would certainly complain on any long trips. The engine and transmission is a good match, with the seven-speed auto smoothing out every shift. The V6 is equally smooth.

If I were in the mind of dropping $60,000 on midsize car, I think I'd opt for four doors. But after driving this E350 coupe, I wouldn't need much convincing to change my mind.

The surprisingly potent V6 really stood out to me during my stint in the E350 coupe. It's quick, powerful, sounds angry and propels this car with ease. I rocketed away from a light to blast smoothly onto the expressway at full stride one dim morning, obliterating all competing, traffic thanks to the six-cylinder and the silky shifts of the gearbox.

I like the swoopy looks, impossibly bright and sharp headlights and elegant curves. I clicked the key fob just after 6 one morning, and it brightly illuminated my apartment.

The chassis is tight enough to be sporty--but not abusive--and the body handles turns and curves with composure. The steering is a bit light, but I liked it.

The cabin is stately. This example is furnished in dark materials, broken up only by the sharp white dials of the instrument cluster. It's laid out reasonably well, but some road and wind noise does filter in.

My main quibble: For this kind of coin, you should get a more powerful engine. I mean $60,000 for 268 hp? This car is no slouch, but it's not the greatest value.

I love this 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 coupe, even with the eye-popping sticker. The exterior is great--especially with the four windows down. I heard "nice car" more than a few times this weekend; and the interior is E-class wonderful. What's not to like?

It rides on the C-class chassis, but that's not a bad thing. It's a refined driving experience. The ride is smooth and comfortable, but not too soft. The car is no rocket, but I don't think that was the intent here, and it's certainly not a dog.

The interior is well built and comfortable, and there's plenty of room in the front. The buckets in front are superb. But the rear can be a little tight, not to mention the back seats can be tough to get in and out of it.

As for the price, the base car is closer to $50,000. This particular model is optioned to the hilt. Leave a lot of that stuff off, and you'll still get a terrific car that's more reasonably priced.

2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe

Base Price: $49,725

As-Tested Price: $59,225

Drivetrain: 3.5-liter V6; RWD, seven-speed automatic

Output: 268 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 258 lb-ft @ 2,400-5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,585 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 20/20.7 mpg